Creamy Mushroom Risotto *vegan
Here's a risotto recipe you can enjoy without the dairy, but you won't miss any of the flavor! Try it and let me know what you think-
* 1 Package of Cremini mushrooms
* 2 1/2 cups arborio rice (or short grain rice)
* 1 red onion minced
* 4 cloves of garlic minced
* 5 cups of vegetable broth (already hot)
* 3 tablespoons Organic Earth Balance
* 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon sage (dried or fresh)
* 1 Bay leaf
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed Saffron threads
* Salt and Pepper to taste
* 1/3 Cup of cashew cream (recipe below)
* 3 tablespoons fresh parsley to garnish
* 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked in boiled water for 30 min.)
* Enough boiled water to cover 1 inch above the cashews
* 1 cup Room temp. water
* Dash of salt
Soak cashews in just enough boiled water to cover an inch above them for 30 minutes. Strain the cashews and rinse in cold running water until it runs clear. Place strained cashews in a high speed blender and add 1 cup of water with a dash of salt. Blend until smooth and creamy, then set aside.
Sauté red onion and garlic in a wide, shallow pan with the Earth Balance over medium heat until soft and translucent. Add chopped mushrooms (caps only), thyme, sage, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms have lost their water content, then add the rice and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add in 2 cups of the already heated vegetable broth and saffron, letting the rice absorb it while stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan (aka deliciousness). Stir in the remaining hot broth and lower heat to a simmer. Cover pan and allow to cook for 10-15 more minutes, stirring and checking the rice occasionally. Once the rice has absorbed all the broth, stir in the cashew cream and adjust salt and pepper seasoning to your liking. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
*Optional- For extra savory umaminess, drizzle with truffle oil sparingly... However, I don't think the recipe needs it even though I'm thoroughly obsessed with truffles.